How much is enough? Determining the right amount of bandwidth for community colleges has become a top problem for IT administrators. The prevalence of mobile devices on campus, coupled with integration of technology in the classroom has lecreated a huge drain on campus bandwidth.
A 2013 Educause Center for Applied Research study on the Bring-Your-Own-Device trend estimates that students bring three to four internet-capable devices to campus—and at Bandwidth Pool we only expect this number to increase.
At the same time, technology budgets aren’t expanding—making the need for increased bandwidth both essential and difficult to navigate. Providing access to adequate bandwidth in community colleges isn’t always as easy as spending more money or changing administrative priorities. So the magic question is: how can you easily increase bandwidth without exceeding your budget?
The way we see it, campuses tend to take two paths to increasing their bandwidth. The old way, and the new way.
Choosing Bandwidth The Old Way
Traditional methods of sourcing Internet can be vague and time-consuming. Often, we find ourselves stuck on questions like:
- How much bandwidth do I need to satisfy my Community College faculty, staff and students?
- How will adding bandwidth affect my IT budget?
- How do I know who provides Internet, MPLS, or point-to-point services to my location(s)?
- Who do I contact at each Internet provider?
- Will I need to haggle on price? Why don’t Internet providers give me their best price first?
- How long is this going to take? I’m a busy person. Do I have the time for multiple conversations with each Internet provider?
Part of the reason we do what we do at Bandwidth Pool is to help community colleges deliver high-speed Internet at an affordable rate. If we’re serious about using technology to facilitate learning, then Internet connectivity at community colleges should be a top priority.
A New Way to Increase Bandwidth
To help improve bandwidth available to community colleges, we offer a simple, intuitive bandwidth solution to address every step of the internet and connectivity process.
- Using our free Internet bandwidth calculator, enter the approximate number of users on your network and the type of traffic you anticipate facilitating.
- Start by creating a free account. Then, create a ‘Request for Bandwidth’, indicating your bandwidth, network and budget needs. Our services include Internet access, Dedicated Internet Access (DIA), Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), and point-to-point connectivity.
- Sit back as over 50 Internet providers place their best-and-final price bids for the services you require. No need to haggle or engage in unnecessary calls with salespeople.
- Evaluate your options. Once time is up, Bandwidth Pool helps you compare bids, select an internet provider, sign a contract, and move towards installing your new Internet services.
The Benefits of Bandwidth Pool:
- Saves time – no need for numerous, repetitive conversations with multiple internet providers to bring Internet to your college campus.
- Saves money – visible bidding with best and final pricing ensures you receive the best deal.
- Increases selection – know you’ve made the best deal available of the services you need.
- Provides easy-to-use tools – the bandwidth calculator helps you make an educated decision and get it right the first time.
Don’t let the OLD way of sourcing Internet keep you from meeting the critical Internet and connectivity needs of your faculty, staff, and students. Bandwidth Pool is the resource to help your community college keep up with bandwidth demand, without exceeding your budget.